HOME BLOG A - Z INDEX SEARCH GET INVOLVED
ABOUT THIS AREA
Local shopping
Going out locally
Local schools
Local transport
Local healthcare
Local councillors
 
ABOUT CHELTENHAM
Visitor's Guide
History
Areas
Local Attractions
 
WHAT TO DO
Shopping
Dining & Nightlife
Events & Festivals
Entertainment
Sport & Leisure
 
FEATURES
TV & Radio
Family History
Nostalgia   
Wedding Guide
 
COMMUNITY
Clubs & Societies
Sport Clubs
 
History of St. Peter's and Tewkesbury Road
Alstone Lawn

ALSTONE

The area to the north of Gloucester Road as it flows into Tewkesbury Road is called Alstone. It derives its name from the original Old English 'Aelf's tun' or farmstead. It is the site of one of the original settlements around Cheltenham. At the time of the Domesday Book, there were two mills on the river Chelt in Alstone, which was one of the tithings of the royal hundred of Cheltenham. In 1712 it was a hamlet of 30 houses.

In 1809 Mr. Smith discovered a mineral spring in the grounds of his Alstone Villa, near Upper Alstone Mill, close to what is now a junction of Millbrook Street and Great Western Road. He erected an octagonal pump there, surrounded by Jung and Schneiderís Nursery Gardens. Alstone Spa closed in 1834, although it did enjoy a brief revival in the early 1900s, when the waters were dispensed from a timbered shelter opposite the Corporation Swimming Baths.

Alstone boasted many a magnificent building which sadly has since disappeared. Alstone Lawn in Gloucester Road was a large double-bowed house, built before 1820s. Its neighbour, Alstone Lodge, was built in 1810, later remodelled in a fashionable Italianate style.

 

TEWKESBURY ROAD

Tewkesbury Road was turnpiked in 1726 and by 1809 it carried its present name. Artisan houses in this area were under development for much of the first part of 19th century. St. Peterís Church was built to offer spiritual guidance to the population of this area in 1849.

The houses in this area were replaced in the latter half of the 1920s as part of the slum clearance scheme. In the 1930s Cheltenham Borough Council bought some 12 acres of orchard land at The Moors, area just south of St Peter's church from A. W. Smith in 1934 for a development of some 130 houses. Some of them were ready for occupation in 1935. Additional housing development includes Maude Elmís Estate opposite St. Peterís Church which was built after the Second World War.





THINGS TO DO, PLACES TO SEE

ST. PETER'S CHURCH

St. Peter's Church was built in the mid-19th century. It is a lovely building in a neo-Norman style designed by the architect Samuel Whitfield Daukes.

WINSTON CHURCHILL MEMORIAL GARDENS

Originally St. Mary's new burial ground, Winston Churchill Memorial Gardens provide an oasis of tranquillity near the busy Tewkesbury Road at the lower end of the High Street

HONEYBOURNE CYCLE LANE

Honeybourne Line Cycle Path connects Cheltenham Spa railway station with Pittville and provides a pleasant environment for cyclists and walkers alike.

KINGSDITCH RETAIL PARK

Kingsditch Retail Park is situated along Tewkesbury Road and provides an excellent shopping experience, with retail outlets such as M&S, PC World and Currys.

TEWKESBURY ROAD BUSINESS PARK

Tewkesbury Road Business Park is situated along Tewkesbury Road and provides retail outlets such as DIY store The Range, Cotswold Fabric Warehouse and Carpet Hut.

TEWKESBURY ROAD RETAIL OUTLETS

Situated where Tewkesbury Road meets Gloucester Road, these retail outlets include a large Tesco supermarket, Staples, JJB Sports and more.

LOWER HIGH STREET SHOPPING

Lower High Street, an area which is sometimes also called West End, has retained much of the character of the old Cheltenham.

 

 

  Privacy Policy      •       Terms and Conditions      •      About Us      •       Contact Us
Not only that this forum also helps those students who have been cheated by many scam sites. This forum tells these students the ideal place to ask, "write my essay".