HOME BLOG A - Z INDEX SEARCH GET INVOLVED
ABOUT THIS AREA
Local shopping
Going out locally
Local schools
Local transport
Local healthcare
Local councillors
 
ABOUT CHELTENHAM
Visitor's Guide
History
Areas
Local Attractions
 
WHAT TO DO
Shopping
Dining & Nightlife
Events & Festivals
Entertainment
Sport & Leisure
 
FEATURES
TV & Radio
Family History
Nostalgia   
Wedding Guide
 
COMMUNITY
Clubs & Societies
Sport Clubs
 
Pittville and Surrounding Areas
New development in Pittville

PITTVILLE

Pittville is the largest and most ambitious of Cheltenham’s new building estates of the early 19th century. It was created by Joseph Pitt MP (1759-1842), a real self-made man, who invested profits from his legal business into purchasing land throughout Gloucestershire. Although the project was never finished, Pittville remains one of England’s finest examples of a ‘Regency’ building estate.

Holst Birthplace Museum

Pittville is an attractive neigbbourhood, with large Regency houses built in variety of styles and architectural motifs. In its heart is Pittville Lawn, a roadway of fine houses with attractive parkland called Long Garden in the centre of it. Pittville Park offers recreational facilities and Pittville Pump Room provides a venue for concerts and exhibitions and fairs. Pittville is also the birthplace of the composer Gustav Holst. The house in Clarence Street where he was born is now a museum.

An important focus of this part of Cheltenham forms Pittville Circus, originally called Albert Circus, after the Prince Consort. It lies on the eastern boundary of the Pittville Estate and was laid out in 1839-1840 by a local builder Edward Cope, on land purchased from Joseph Pitt. Some of the most attractive houses of the Pittville Estate can be found here.

Pittville Park gates

Another striking piece of architecture, notable for its attractive ironwork, can be found in Winchcombe Street, where near the Pittville Gates is a terrace of 6 houses called Columbia Place. The houses date back to 1824-25 and were built by a former Army saddler Thomas Thompson, who had made his fortune supplying cavalry equipment to various South American states. In Colombia he obtained from General Bolivar a monopoly for the refining and sale of salt from the country’s various salt mines. He employed architect William Jay, who designed a number of houses in Savannah, Georgia, in the United States.

 

HISTORY

Although never finished Pittville Estate was supposed to be the largest development in Cheltenham in the 19th century. Ambition of Joseph Pitt was to create a brand new spa town in the northern part of Cheltenham.





THINGS TO DO, PLACES TO SEE

PITTVILLE PUMP ROOM

Designed by the architect John Forbes in 1825, Pittville Pump Room is a wonderful example of Cheltenham's Regency architecture. Visitors can enjoy the spa water there even today.

PITTVILLE PARK

With 33 ha, Pittville Park is the largest park in Cheltenham. Opened in 1825 as part of the Pittville Estate, in the vicinity of the Pittville Pump Room, today it provides many leisure and sporting facilities

PITTVILLE LAWN

This fine roadway facing the Long Garden includes some of the finest houses in Pittville. A variety of styles can be found here - from Roman to Greek and Gothic styles.

GUSTAV HOLST MUSEUM

Gustav Holst was born in Pittville in 1874. This composer became known as the author of The Planets Suite, the most performed composition by an English composer.

MASONIC HALL

This monumental building from the 1820s, built by the architect G. A. Underwood has kept much of its original features. It contains the oldest organs in Cheltenham.

LEISURE CENTRE

Recently renovated Leisure Centre provides residents of Cheltenham with top of the range recreational facilities, including three swimming pools and a health spa.

WINCHCOMBE STREET SHOPPING

Connecting High Street with Pittville, Winchcombe Street offers countless specialist shops, cafes, restaurants and takeaways.

HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

Holy Trinity Church in Pittville is the first church to be built to supplement the parish church since the middle ages. It was designed by G. A. Underwood in the 1820s.

 

 

  Privacy Policy      •       Terms and Conditions      •      About Us      •       Contact Us