An Anglo-Saxon settlement, Cheltenham was the site of a monastery
as early as 803. It first became famous
in 1716 when a spring with healing waters was discovered on the site of
what is now The Ladies College, a visit of King George III in 1788 confirmed
it's position as a fashionable Spa town.
Cheltenham's heyday as a spa lasted from about 1790 to 1840
and by 1840 it had also become a popular residential town,
particularly for military families, many of whom had served in the Empire.
It also gained a reputation for the quality of preaching in its many churches
and chapels and for its schools and colleges, which encouraged still more
families to settle in the town.
Since then, Cheltenham has continued to grow.
During the late 19th century, craft industries developed. During the First
World War a local firm, H H Martyn & Co., began
to manufacture aircraft components and later established the Gloster Aircraft
The crest of Cheltenham Borough incorporates all the significant events in the history of Cheltenham. Its motto Salubritas et Eruditio refers to Cheltenham as a health spa and the centre for education. Today, Cheltenham crest is also the crest of Cheltenham Town FC.