The townís population grew very slowly, and as late as 1700 it comprised no more
than 1,500 people. The houses stood along the present High Street and in a number
of lanes and alleys leading into the fields. In 1801 census 3,076 and new houses
were being built to accommodate the influx of wealthy visitors and residents.
Many of the gardens and orchards adjoining the high street were built upon. In
1806 the Open Fields on the north side of the town were enclosed and made available
for building, and soon the earliest streets in what were to become the artisan
areas of Fairview, St.
Paulís and St. Peterís had been established.
|Cheltenham High Street, 1840
The construction of single houses and terraces, which had
been a hallmark of Cheltenhamís building industry before 1820, gave way to the establishment of large-scale building estates, which included the fashionable Lansdown, Pittvile, Suffolk, Bayshill and Park estates. The artisan areas also grew apace, new streets being developed off London Road and along Bath
Road. From 1868 onwards the townís boundaries were gradually extended to include parts of the neighbouring parishes of Leckhampton and Charlton
After the First World War the development of new housing
estates, such as St. Markís, St. Paulís and St. Peterís began. After the Second World War houses at Hesterís
Way and Lynworth were added. At the end of the Second World War, Cheltenhamís population was around 60,000, now it is almost 110,000 reflecting both the natural growth of the town and the further expansion of its boundaries to include Charlton
Kings in 1974 and Leckhampton, Prestbury, Up Hatherley, The Reddings and Swindon
Village in April 1991.